Monday, June 23, 2008

The Pie to End All Pies


The latest Sunset magazine came for me in the mail on Saturday (thanks, in-laws! I still love my subscription!), and what do you know, within those beautiful thin, glossy pages, was a tip: Grandma's Secret Ingredient for Making Good Pies.

I had come across our blackberry stockpile when I was cleaning out our freezer to make room for all the supposed fish my dad was to bring back from Alaska last month. I'm not bitter, but the fish weren't biting. We have a half-empty freezer, which is fine, but we expected it to be filled to the brim with halibut. Whatever, I'm over it. I needed to use those blackberries up, though, before it's time to pick more this year. I had designs on making jelly, because who doesn't love jelly? But then Sunset arrived, and I was inspired.

I made a deeeeeeeelicious blackberry pie last night. So good, in fact, that if I weren't watching my girlish figure, I would have had a slice for breakfast. And lunch, and perhaps tea. And then, of course, it would be time for dessert. But I digress. Again.

I'm not a secret-keeper. I'll share the recipe with y'all. All 4 of you.

Blackberry Pie (Guts only - make your own crust however you want. Or not, this would make a fine cobbler too)

5 c. frozen blackberries
5 T. instant tapioca*
2/3 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. lemon juice
1 t. lemon zest

*the secret ingredient

The lighting was bad by the time I finished it, but I promise to take it out on the patio this afternoon for a photo shoot. That way, you can see the insides - we'll have eaten about 1/3 by then, at the very least.

No comments: