Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Kale Dilemma

We have a problem in the garden: way too much Tuscan kale.

Lawnboy and I love it, and we appreciate the health benefits (did you know that a cup of cooked kale has more vitamin C than an orange? thought not, I didn't until yesterday), but we haven't found a way to force it on the boys yet without inducing Fezzik's gag reflex. "Mom, this stuff makes me kak!"

The other problem is that it's the only thing that's ready in the garden right now. And did I mention we have a LOT of it?

I picked about a pound and a half today, and here's what we're having for lunch.


Sesame Kale Salad
1 pound fresh kale
2 T soy sauce
2 T toasted sesame oil
1 T toasted sesame seeds (I'm out of these so we'll probably skip it this time)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 t honey (I used agave nectar)
1 T apple cider vinegar
dash of black or ground red pepper, or more to taste

Separate kale leaves from stems. Chop stems and greens. Steam stems a couple of minutes, then add the greens and steam until just tender. Drain; let kale cool enough to handle it. Squeeze out as much water as possible. Place in serving bowl. Mix the remaining ingredients in another bowl; add to greens. Mix, chill, and serve. Makes 4-6 servings. Or in our house, 132 servings for the boys, one forced bite per serving.

Feel free to comment with your own favorite kale recipes! Scarlet, I know you have some from your time at your dad's.

No comments: